"Milsie" or "Millaforth", as it is affectionately called by older inhabitants, may have been originally "Meall-na-Thorrceidh" or Hill of the Burial; alternatively, Mr David Beveridge (1888) suggests "Muilean-a-Thairt", meaning Mill on the Further Side .. of a rivulet; the third suggestion is "Mills Furth", meaning the Mills beyond the Palace of Falkland, eight miles away in Fife. These mills may have supplied meal and flour to the Stewart monarchs and their large entourages, when they came to hunt in the forests around Falkland.
Written by Mrs
Nan Walker and published by Kinross-shire Historical Society in 1980
Return to the www.kinross.cc page
Click here to close this window